Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thursday Thoughts...

I'm not an avid Oprah watcher, but I have been known to enjoy an episode of Oprah every now and again, because lets face it...sometimes she has some really awesome topics and guests on her show. That said, this week was her "goodbye" week, as her show is going off air after 25 years. To me, thats pretty impressive. And because thats pretty impressive I couldn't help but record the past three days of Oprah's goodbye episodes. I sat down to watch them last night and I'm especially glad that I taped the final final episode.

It wasn't a typical Oprah show. No guests. No special topics. Just Oprah and the audience while she dished about all the lessons and "aha moments" she has had over the past 25 years. Some of it kinda dragged but both my mom and I found some profound words in her last hour on television. (sidenote...there were NO men present in our house while we were watching this episode. probably why we were able to enjoy it without feeling silly).

These are the two pieces that stuck out to me (us)the most:

Oprah began telling about how each person on this earth is a form of energy. That each of us carries an energy with us and that as the sole provider of that energy, we must be aware of how it contributes and affects others around us. She quoted a dr who had had a stroke and while in the hospital had this exact revelation...that all people are energy. She was able to heal because of the engery that others (her nurses and dr's) brought into the room.

This is the part i loved. Oprah has a little picture frame with this quote from said dr, dr jill belte taylor, sitting in her dressing room for all to see. It reads:

"Please take responsiblity for the energy you bring into this space"

it's pretty simple but i found it very profound. because its so true. Our "energy" is our attitude. our spirit. our thoughts. our actions. everything we do contributes to the space around us. we NEED to take responsiblity for the space around us because others energy bounces off of our own. ever heard the saying "if mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy"? energy people. energy.

The second part that i liked was when Oprah talked about feeling worthy to reach our potential and how as humans (mostly women) we don't feel good enough to receive certain things, or we don't feel we deserve this or that. She said about this:

"Your being here...your being alive makes worthiness your birthright. You alone are enough"

I loved this! and it was definitely something that i needed to hear because how easy is it to wish for things that we don't necessarily have or think we deserve because we aren't [as pretty, or as thin, or smart or blah blah blah, insert any form of self doubt here] as the woman standing next to us.

but its not true. us being alive is grounds enough for us to receive everything we aspire to. its our birthright. we should all try to reach our full potential. something that i know as a young woman in the young women's program, i remember hearing all the time. Why do we forget how much we are worth so quickly? why do we compare ourselves to others without seeing what we have to offer? it's sad really. and its definitely somthing that i am going to work harder at NOT doing. Instead i'm going to focus on remembering my full potential and how it is my birthright to reach that potential, whatever it might be, just by being here and being alive.

Just to go along with this, I was reading my good friend Julie's blog the other day and she posted an awesome article that i feel goes hand in hand with what i have been thinking and feeling lately, especially after watching Oprah last night. If you want to read it (which you all should, its awesome). Just click HERE and enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Jess, I LOVE this post. I haven't seen Oprah's final shows but my mom is saving them for me and I'm looking forward to seeing it. It's so funny to me that we have the gospel, we know we're daughters of God but we get so gosh darn busy comparing ourselves to one another that we forget how special we are. (Not really funny, but you get what I mean).

    ps I'm jealous you got to watch Oprah with your momma with no boys around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still havent watched them, but have all 3 recorded. Need to watch!!!!

    ReplyDelete